5/17/13

RIGLEE MAE WORKSPACE

Hello! I am excited to share a peek into the workspace of Lindsey Nims, of the adorable tiny fashion line- Riglee Mae. I had the privilege of helping design the brand and market Riglee Mae, and in the process wanted to share her unique creative space with you and her ideas behind Riglee Mae Tiny Fashion.




TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF AS A CREATIVE

My favorite thing about being a designer is seeing the product process from start to finish. I begin with inspiration, whether that is a silhouette, fabric, or findings.  I love, and am most inspired by fabric with lots of texture.  I love combining texture and print, sometimes leading to an eclectic look.  I love simple silhouettes with many details.  I like so many different things that it would be hard to stick my designs into a boxed category and so that is why I use the term eclectic when I describe my creative works.  As a designer i enjoy growing in my knowledge and skills and can’t wait to see how I develop in my design over the years.


DESCRIBE YOUR CREATIVE JOURNEY

My first creative outlet when I was young, like most youngsters, it was in the form of drawing.  I could probably spend all day drawing.  Early on my drawings were very detailed including things such as fingernails on the hands.  Other than drawing I spent a lot of my time out doors. I grew up in the country and remember sitting outside sewing together leaves with long pieces of grass to fashion little purses out of them.  My hands always wanted to make something. I also received a scrunchie maker (in case you forgot what a scrunchie is, they are those extremely tacky large fabric hair ties) and began making scrunchies like mad.  The kit came with everything to assemble them, but soon I wanted to make my own with fabric of my choice, and that was the first time I remember using a sewing machine. 

When I got into middle school and high school my favorite form of art turned into a small little “business.” I began making and selling jewelry.  One of the best feelings was when one of my college reps bought several pieces from me and teachers were asking me to make custom pieces for them.  There was something satisfying about someone loving something you made so much they were willing to pay you for it.  I also started selling a few of my pieces in a local boutique and got so excited to receive a check written out to me for my designs. After graduating high school I went to school for Art and business and part way through transferred schools and began attending Iowa State for Apparel Design.  I learned so much and loved applying what I learned, transforming a piece of fabric into something that could be worn or used to decorate a home.  I loved being able to make something that I would never find somewhere else since it was handmade.  It was fun wearing the things you made.  The process was always tedious but after seeing the finished product you couldn’t help but forget the amount of work it took. 

I never thought of doing children’s wear actually until I started making gifts for my friends who were having children.  I didn’t have much luck finding the type of gifts that I wanted to give and so I set out to make the things I could not find.  It became much more fun when my husband and I had our sweet little girl, Riglee Mae, enter our life.  Now it’s fun to dress her up in my designs.

SHARE A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR SPACE:

My design space is located in our home in Ames IA.  When we purchased our house one of the bedrooms came with this amazing build in sturdy shelving that went from floor to ceiling and instantly I knew what I would be filling the shelves with, fabric.  The walls have been left white to help keep it well lit and to allow the fabric that speaks loudly to be the decor in the room.  I have a cutting table that can be made smaller to save space, or extend to make room for large sheets of fabric, as well as a serger for my knit wears, a home sewing machine for button holes and other stitching other than the standard straight stitch.  My favorite piece of equipment is the newest addition to the space, my industrial straight stitch sewing machine.  This I would consider my greatest investment.  I have a dress form and a fun antique clothing hanger that adds both practical uses as well as flare to the space.  I also can’t wait to add some more shelving to better utilize the space and be able to place my large jar of antique wooden spindles covered in thread on top because they just look so cool! 


FAVORITE THING ABOUT MY SPACE:

My floor to ceiling shelves filled with colorful fabric up against the white walls makes me happy and is one of my favorite things about my space.  I love that my space is in my home and that Riglee can sit next to me while I work in the comfort of our home.

ONE THING EVERY CREATIVE NEEDS IN THEIR SPACE:

A mood board with fun findings and ideas pinned all over it.  Full of colors, textures and sayings that are encouraging and inspiring.  Its fun to tack things up on it, it’s a form of art, inspiration and a design in itself.  Oh, and coffee or something to fuel you up when your creative ideas are raging and your excited and working hard to finish your product.




No comments

Post a Comment

© Lavender's Blue - DillyLou Blog
Maira Gall